Your cart is currently empty.
Best Ways to Detox from THC & Cannabis
Failing a drug test can be life-changing. It could mean losing a job or missing out on a career-building new one. If you find yourself here after learning about an upcoming drug test — don’t worry — there are plenty of THC detox methods available. Whether you need to detox fast for a drug test or you’re simply looking to take a tolerance break, we have all of the details you need to help you pass a drug test.
- The many reasons why someone would choose to do a THC detox
- How to do a THC detox naturally or with the help of a detox program
- Factors to consider when selecting a THC detox plan
- Answers to your frequently asked questions about THC detoxing
Reasons to Do a THC Detox
There are plenty of reasons to do a THC detox, and you might find yourself experiencing each of these scenarios throughout your lifetime.
When a drug test comes up, you might be scrambling for a quick solution for a THC detox. While unfortunate, many private and federal employers have strict drug testing policies. For example, your employer may require annual drug testing or drug testing to apply for a promotion.
Additionally, a new employer may offer you the position pending a negative drug test. Most workplace environments are drug-free, and in the event of an accident or suspicious behavior while on the job, you might have to take a drug test per the employer’s insurance policy. There is often a short window of opportunity to detox from THC to pass your test in any of these scenarios.
A tolerance break can help you get the most out of your relationship with cannabis. Our bodies build tolerance as we continue to use a particular substance, and then we need more and more to get the same effects.
Think back to the first time you ever smoked weed. Did you experience elevated states of bliss, fits of laughter, or a general wonder at the world around you? Now consider how you respond to cannabis in your daily life. Do you get the same effects? Probably not.
Taking a tolerance break means giving up cannabis for some time to allow your body to detox from THC and ‘reset’. Then, when you consume cannabis again, it’s kind of like getting high for the first time. A tolerance break should last somewhere between two weeks and 30 days to fully reset your body’s relationship to cannabis.
With so much evidence surrounding the health benefits of cannabis, it might seem counterintuitive to stop smoking weed for health purposes. However, think of a THC detox as a general cleansing. Some health scenarios are more evident than others, such as fighting off a cold, sinus infection, or lung issues. You certainly don’t want to be smoking weed if you have a cough or pressure in your chest or sinuses.
Taking a break from smoking is also good for mental health. If you use cannabis to cope, it might be good to investigate other coping mechanisms to help round out your health and wellness plan.
Ways to Do a THC Detox
Depending on your situation, your approach to a THC detox will vary. For example, if you face a drug test, you might need a quick solution. But, if you are simply taking a tolerance break or looking to improve your health, there are other options for supporting your body.
Your body is continually purging THC metabolites. If you are a regular cannabis user, it might take up to 30 days to complete a THC detox. Yes, your body is constantly cleansing and detoxing, but there are plenty of things you can do to support overall detoxification and health.
- Stay hydrated — THC metabolites leave the body via urine and feces. Drinking plenty of clear fluids can help the body move urine and waste more efficiently, promoting detox. Water, herbal teas, and fresh-squeezed juices are excellent ways to stay hydrated.
- Sweat it Out — Before exiting the body, THC metabolites are stored in the body’s fat cells. To promote faster detox times, try doing fat-burning exercises. There is no need to hit the gym (unless you want to!); you can do many home exercises to burn fat.
- Avoid Certain Foods — Foods that can slow down detoxification include sugar, wheat, dairy, red meat, pork, and alcohol. Removing these food groups, even temporarily, allows your body to prioritize its digestion and detox efforts.
- Optimize Your Diet — Knowing what to eat is just as important as avoiding the above foods. Focusing on a plant-based diet is the best way to support your THC detox. This means plenty of leafy greens, fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, and legumes. If you like to eat meat, stick to lean meats and fish.
It probably goes without saying, but stop the use of all cannabis products. Even a puff here and there or a bite of an edible can set back your progress, so it’s best just to stop using it immediately once you begin a cleanse.
Detox Programs / Kits
In the event of a drug test, you might not have the luxury of a natural THC detox. In this case, it’s wise to follow a guided detox program. Shop from a reputable company that showcases several customer testimonials offers easy ways to reach out for support and guarantees their product.
If you have a couple of weeks before your test, try out the Pass Your Test 10-Day cleanse. This all-in-one permanent THC detox kit includes:
- Cleansing guide and meal plan to help you stay on track with a wholesome diet.
- Ten day supply of highly-targeted capsules to rid the body of THC.
- Three home testing kits so you can track your progress before your actual test.
- Customer support to answer any questions you have throughout the detox process.
If you have less than a week to get clean, reach for their 5-day cleanse, designed to help you permanently rid toxins in just five days. This extreme detox kit offers the same excellent customer service and guaranteed results or your money back.
The worst-case scenario for a drug test is if you only have 24 hours' notice. Don’t worry — there’s a kit for that, too. Rather than a guided cleansing protocol, you’ll need a Same Day Cleanse. A combination of capsules and a detox drink, same-day cleansers are not the same as a permanent detox.
Detox drinks essentially work by stirring up the available chemical metabolites circulating throughout the body and encouraging rapid elimination. Typically, after you follow the guidelines for a detox drink, it will take effect within 90 minutes, and you will have up to six hours to take your drug test and pass.
However, you must follow the directions precisely as laid out in the guide. If you do not stick to the protocol, you will likely fail your test.
The above methods are helpful when you need to pass a urine test, but what about the dreaded hair follicle test? This aggressive test can detect drug metabolites for up to 90 days after last use. Passing this test in that timeline requires outside help.
Folli-Clean shampoo is the best way to beat a hair follicle test. This extra strength cleanser works within 60 minutes and lasts up to 24 hours. It’s safe for color-treated or permed hair and dissolves toxins trapped in the hair shaft. Don’t be fooled into shaving your head or trying out unconventional — and harmful — home remedies. Stick with the trusted providers at Pass Your Test.
In the dark underbelly of the internet, you will find a plethora of bizarre and potentially hazardous home remedies for a THC detox. Everything from Certo and apple cider vinegar to drinking baking soda and bleach is touted as successful options to pass a drug test.
Please do not get sucked into the clickbait or Reddit forums claiming that these methods work. While some home remedies can support healthy detox, like activated charcoal or cranberry juice, they cannot cleanse your system to help you pass a drug test.
When your job is on the line, stick with the professional companies that back their products.
What THC Detox Is Best for Me
No one method will work best for everyone. Nor is every option needed. For example, if you just want to take a tolerance break, a detox drink won’t do you any good. To help you find the right solution, consider the following information.
Things to Consider
First and foremost, remember that everybody is different. Even persons who consume the same type and quantity of marijuana have various detox factors to consider.
- Toxicity — How often and how much cannabis you use is the most significant determining factor in detox time. For example, someone that took a few hits off a joint, but hasn’t smoked in a week, might be able to pass a drug test the same day. However, someone that smokes weed every day may need up to a month to detox naturally.
- Body Mass Index — Since THC is stored in the body’s fat cells, persons with higher percentages of body fat usually take longer to detox fully. Similarly, women tend to have higher body fat percentages than men and often take longer to detox naturally.
- Cleansing timeline
Type of Drug Test — Several types of drug tests are used to look for THC. Depending on the type of test you take, there are varying detection times.
- Urine: Largely dependent on frequency and quantity of use, a urine test can detect THC for up to 30 days.
- Blood: Blood tests have a wide range and may detox from THC in as little as two days or as many as 14 in some cases.
- Hair: Hair follicle testing is the least forgiving type of test, which can detect THC metabolites up to 90 days after the last use.
- Saliva: THC metabolites are only present in saliva for up to 72 hours. This is not a very common drug testing method for most employers.
When facing a drug test, consider the above information to help you decide your course of action. If you know the type of test and factor in your toxicity and body composition, you can determine if you have time to detox naturally or if you need to pursue another option.
How to Permanently Detox From THC
To detox permanently from THC, you need to stop using cannabis. This includes CBD and other cannabinoid products because they can sometimes trigger a positive result even if THC is not the dominant cannabinoid.
If time is on your side, follow the above steps to naturally detox and support your body’s detoxification process. However, if you are worried about an upcoming drug test, it’s best to opt for a 5-day or 10-day detox kit.
How to Detox in 24 Hours
It’s physically impossible to purge your system of THC in 24 hours without the help of a detox drink. The human body simply cannot cleanse all of these toxins. No amount of water or cranberry juice, or other remedies will help. In fact, some of these attempts just might result in a diluted urine sample, resulting in a failed test.
Reach for a trusted detox drink, and consider keeping an extra drink on hand in the event of a future test. Preparation is key.
THC Detox FAQ
Here are the answers to your commonly asked THC detox questions.
How long does it take to detox from THC?
THC detox times vary from person to person. However, it’s important to know that many regular cannabis users may need up to 30 days to detox from THC naturally. If you use cannabis only once a week, you will likely detox in 5-8 days if you stop using it. Consider a detox kit or buy at-home drug tests if you are very concerned.
Do THC detox programs work for hair tests?
To cleanse your hair from toxins, use a trusted follicle cleansing shampoo specifically made to remove chemical contaminants from the hair shaft. A detox drink or detox kit will not work for hair follicle tests.
What if I need to cleanse really fast?
The fastest way to cleanse your system of THC is with a same-day detox kit.
Can I smoke and still do a THC detox?
No. Consuming any cannabis will just continue to circulate THC in your system and set back your progress.