Jun 07 , 2019
You can make yourself some super-fast edibles, like in mere minutes, if you have some cannabis butter (cannabutter), or marijuana butter, on hand. If you don’t, then it may take a little longer, but either way the results are more than worth it! There is one specific recipe, which we’ll describe in detail below, that calls for using raw, ground weed to make a quick and easy weedible snack; elsewise you’re going to need to decarb your cannabis in order to make anything edible and the best thing to make with decarbed pot is cannabutter or hash butter, because then you can make anything into an edible by adding some weedy butter to it! Of course, cannabis tincture dropped into a favorite food can also create cannabinoid confections to enjoy on the quick. Dazed and confused? You won’t be, just read on and we’ll explain every way you can whip up a ganja goodie in as little time and with as little effort as possible – which, if you are a true stoner, should appeal to you immensely.
Why make marijuana medibles? Some people are underwhelmed by weed foods and prefer puffing or vaping to get high. That’s fine and all, but you shouldn’t discount a good medible buzz. Inhaling fumes may get you high faster, but ingesting your THC edibles can get you high longer, and sometimes stronger than you might think, because your digestive system time-releases the potent effects slowly. Depending on the strength of your source weed, edible highs can take up to half an hour to really kick in and the effects generally last from 4 to 10 hours, and sometimes longer!
The type of high you experience will also depend on the kind of cannabis used: if you feel jittery and hella paranoid – like you’re pretty sure Freddy Krueger is gonna come out of your closet, then it was probably a sativa-dominant strain used to make the weed cookie, cannabutter brownie or whatnot; if you suddenly declare that the couch is the comfiest place on earth and you are never in life going to leave it then you are, congratulations, couch-locked by an indica-laced edible. For the educated ganja gourmand, however, edible cannabis can be finessed with micro-dosing to reach the effects-level you desire and is a great way to get high in public with no one knowing you are doing so (pro tip, kids, just be careful – there are laws and your own safety to consider).
If you want to know how to make cannabis edibles fast and easy, we’ll go over a few good recipes and tips so that you can create your own stoner snacks.
30-minute Marijuana Firecrackers Recipe
(Firecracker edibles, image from Edibles by Granny on Instagram)
In order for weed to work in food, you have to decarb it – the cannabinoid THCA in your pot won’t get you high unless it is heated and converted into THC, and your body doesn’t get hot enough to do that. Usually, in making edibles, you decarb the weed first before either using it as a raw ingredient or using it to make cannabutter, hash butter or even kief butter. This recipe can decarb your weed while it’s baking.
Firecrackers are amazingly easy and have only three ingredients: graham crackers, Nutella or some other similar spread and some ground-up weed. The strength of your medible will depend on the strength of your weed, we suggest going very low THC for your first outing if you are just learning how to make marijuana edibles.
Here's what you do:
- With your trusty hand-cranked grinder or electric grinder, shred your ganja greens as finely as possible – we recommend a half-gram of weed (or more) per cracker; the number of crackers is up to you.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit/162 degrees Celsius.
- Snap your graham crackers in half – they handily come perforated – so that they are a square.
- Spread the Nutella (or as an alternative for those with nut allergies you could use whipped feta, sunflower seed butter, nut-free chocolate spread or coconut butter) on one half of each cracker – some put plain ol’ peanut butter on the other half, jelly might be an alternative for that.
- Sprinkle your weed evenly across the crackers – both sides should have some kind of spread on them to glue the weed down and the halves together.
- Put both halves together.
- Wrap each cracker-spread-and-weed sandwich in tin foil.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, depending on oven – check one at the minimum time to make sure they don’t burn.
- Remove your firecrackers from the oven and enjoy!
A note of advice: people often underestimate the strength of their medibles, so try a small portion to make sure you can handle it. Take a bite, wait half an hour for the effects to kick in, then take another bite and wait again. Or, dive right in, eat the whole thing – but be advised that you may find yourself blazingly high in an hour or so, possibly nervous, potentially nauseous, perhaps very giggly.
Here is vid of a mostly similar approach to making firecracker edibles:
Making Cannabutter (Cannabis Butter)
(Jars of cannabis butter, image from Athena Medibles on Instagram)
Since cannabutter is essential to so many edible marijuana munchies, we’ll start with that before we give you any more recipes and ideas for (relatively) fast cannabis cooking. Another benefit to pot butter is that you can easily put a little in everything from soup to coffee to reheated leftover pizza, anything served hot, and it will melt in and diffuse, instantly cannabisizing your food or beverage.
The fat in the butter bonds with the cannabinoids in the weed and helps your body absorb and store the THC better and longer. If you add coconut oil to the recipe, then your pot potency potential increases because coconut oil has among the highest concentration of saturated fats, or MCT (medium-chain triglycerides), which are a strong binding agent for cannabinoids like THC.
This recipe works for cannabis butter as well as cannabis veggie oil.
What you need:
- 1 1/4 cups of salted or unsalted butter (your preference); or, if making veggie oil, then 1 1/4 cups cooking oil (olive, vegetable, canola, or corn oil)
- 1/2 ounce of fresh ground cannabis
- 4 cups water
- 1 resealable jar with lid or storage tub
What to do:
- Decarboxylate your weed – spread the ground ganja herb on a cookie sheet, pop in an oven set at 220 degrees Fahrenheit (104 degrees Celsius) for half an hour, remove from the oven.
- Add the ground decarbed weed and other ingredients to your slow cooker and cook on low for four to six hours. You are now making cannabutter in a crockpot – and you thought they were just for making roasts!
- Place a cheesecloth-lined strainer over a large mixing bowl and proceed to strain the liquid from the crockpot through the cheesecloth.
- Next pour a large pan or kettle of boiling water over the full strainer to wash through any surplus butter or oil clinging to the marijuana plant material.
- Allow the pot plant matter in the strainer to cool, then squeeze out as much liquid as possible before discarding.
- Use a spoon or ladle to skim oil or melted butter off the water.
- Now strain the butter or oil one more time by pouring it through a double layer of cheesecloth again – to remove as much of the remaining plant particulates as possible – into some form of airtight tub (like Tupperware) for the butter or a resealable canning jar for the oil.
Boom, that’s it – you now have marijuana butter or weedy veggie oil!
Or, Make Some Kief Butter:
(THC Butter, image from Herbie Moonrock on Instagram)
To make a batch of easy kief butter, just take about 1 gram of kief that you have collected from grinding weed (or you can buy some from your local dispensary) and decarboxylate:
- First, preheat your oven to about 300°F/148°C.
- Then, place your collected kief in an oven-safe container, and cover.
- Next, bake for 6-7 minutes.
- Finally, allow to cool with the cover on.
Okay, now for the making kief butter part.
You will need:
- 1/2 lb. unsalted butter
- Your gram of decarbed kief
- A small sauce pan
What to do:
- Place the butter in the saucepan and heat over medium heat until melted.
- Then add your decarbed kief, and stir until dissolved. Remove from burner.
- Pour kief butter into resealable container and refrigerate once it has cooled. Alternately, you can store your kief butter in the freezer for up to 6 months.
How to Make Edibles with Wax, Weed Wax That Is
(Dab wax sticking out of cupcake, image from Conan Jabronin on Instagram)
Some might be concerned, given pause, about making a food item with BHO, or butane hash oil, cannabis concentrates – popularly known as wax. Well, it is a thing, and it can be done – and considering that pot concentrates pack a pretty powerful punch, you can make some super-strong cannabis butter or THC edibles with your dab wax!
To calm any fears you may have about butane ingestion or respiration, we can tell you that while excessive exposure to butane can cause temporary and long-lasting symptoms like hallucinations, irritability, social withdrawal and central nervous system damage – all alarmingly awful side-effects – the official federal standards in the Occupational Safety and Health Guideline for permissible workplace exposure for n-butane is no more than 800 parts per million in an eight-hour time period, so you’d have to breathe in or eat a lot of it for it to be dangerous. It’s up to you, THC edibles made from marijuana butter or canna veggie oil made from decarbed leaf certainly can get you high, but if you want to take your edibles game to the next level, then making edibles with wax would be that next level!
So, how do you make edibles with wax then?
One quick and easy way would be to make some mighty marijuana butter with your BHO. Simply take one gram of BHO and add it to portioned butter, like a 1/2 cup stick of your favorite salted or unsalted butter. Heat the butter in a small saucepan over a low heat simmer temperature and add the wax by dropping it in and stirring until it is completely dissolved in the butter. Then pour the wax/butter mix into a resealable container and let sit until room temperature, refrigerate until needed.
Insofar as dosing is concerned, if you figure that a single-serving size for BHO-infused cannabis butter is a half-teaspoon, and if you melt one gram of BHO into 1/2 cup of butter, then with a BHO potency of, say, 70 percent THC, one gram would contain 700mg THC. Are you with us so far? Now, with 48 half-teaspoons in 1/2 cup of butter, each half-teaspoon serving would have 14.6mg of THC. So if whatever edible recipe you make produces a yield of 60 pieces, then you would divide the amount of BHO butter per edible – if it’s altogether 700mg , then divided by 60 each edible would have 11.7mg THC. Once again, we have done the math so that you don’t have to – and, as ever, you are entirely welcome!
Other Cool and (Kinda) Quick Cannabis Good Recipes that You Should Try
How to Make Edibles Brownies
(THC edibles brownies, image from Baked Smart on Instagram)
What you need:
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4 cup cannabutter (either what you made from the recipe above or purchased from a local dispensary)
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/176 degrees C.
- Grease a 9 by 13-inch glass pan or use a non-stick baking pan.
- Melt chocolate in a glass dish in the microwave or place over a saucepan of boiling water.
- Mix softened cannabutter and melted chocolate, then add sugar, salt and vanilla – stir together.
- Stir in eggs, one at a time.
- Mix in flour.
- Pour your cannabutter brownie batter into your glass or Teflon pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, before cutting, serving and eating. Reminder: take it slow so you don’t get over-high and annoyingly weird.
How to Make Edibles Cookies
(Edibles cookies, image from Curaleaf USA on Instagram)
What you need:
- 1 1/3 cup of flour
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 2/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of cannabutter
- 1 1/3 cup of chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp. of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- 2 tsps. of vanilla extract
- 1 egg
What to do:
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F/162 degrees C
- Grease your cookie sheet.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; then set aside.
- In a second medium-sized bowl mix together cannabutter, sugar and brown sugar until creamy.
- To the cannabutter bowl add vanilla extract and egg and combine.
- Add in chocolate chips.
- Now mix into the cannabutter bowl the flour mixture from the first bowl – resulting dough should be firm.
- Drop the combined cookie dough mixture by spoon onto your cookie sheet and spread them out evenly.
- Put baking sheet with canna cookies into the preheated oven and let the cookies bake for 18-25 minutes.
- When golden brown, remove the pan with cookies from the oven and let them cool for approximately 10-15 minutes before removing from the cookie sheet and eating or storing. Once again, we advise caution – take it slow, start with half a cookie and wait half an hour to see how it affects you before nom-nom-noming any more! Some milk is, of course, highly recommended to accompany your cookies.
How To make Hard Candy Edibles (Lolly pot pops)
(Hard candy edibles suckers, image from View My Soul on Instagram)
What you need:
- 1 cup cannabis butter or kief butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp. regular or sea salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsps. coconut oil (the MCT – medium-chain triglycerides – fats in the coconut oil really enhance the heft of the cannabis)
- Candy thermometer
- Candy or sucker molds
- Medium saucepan with cover
- Aluminum foil or wax paper
- Lollipop sticks
What to do:
- Start by heating the marijuana butter and honey until both are semi-liquid. Set aside.
- Using the regular butter or coconut oil, coat your candy molds.
- Next heat the sugar, water, and corn syrup in the saucepan – cover the pan, without stirring, and bring the ingredients to a boil.
- Check temp until the thermometer reads 269°F/132°C, probably around 15 minutes after boiling begins.
- Then mix in your THC butter, salt, and honey; continuing to cook until the mixture reaches 298°F/148°C.
- Turn off the heat, wait for the bubbles to subside, and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour liquid candy mixture into the molds, insert sucker sticks in end of the molds with the cannabis candy.
- Let your cannabis candy creations cool for 30–60 minutes, then remove the weed lollipops from the molds afterwards.
- Wrap the ganja suckers in aluminum foil or wax paper and refrigerate.
Or you can make some sensational suckers with THC tincture:
(THC suckers, image from That Okie That Be Smokey on Instagram)
You will need:
- Some cannabis tincture
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of corn syrup
- 1/4 cup of water
- Sucker sticks
- Candy molds
- Candy thermometer
What to do:
- Mix together the sugar, corn syrup, and water in a saucepan. Heat on medium, dissolving all the sugar, stirring continuously.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Keep boiling until it reaches 300°F/148°C
- Remove from heat – leave in thermometer
- Wait till it cools down to 250°F/121°C, then stir in your cannabis tincture, and flavoring. If the tincture is alcohol-based, be careful to not expose it to open flame.
- Pour the mixture into candy/sucker molds, then insert the lollipop sticks.
- Allow the pot pops to cool completely, say about 20 minutes: again, you can wrap the cannabis suckers in aluminum foil or wax paper and refrigerate.
How to Make Edibles Gummies
(Edibles gummies, image from Emily Ruth 55 on Instagram)
What you need:
- 1 large package of flavored Jell-O
- 1 cup plus 1/2 cup orange juice (divided)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canna veggie oil
- 4 packets of generic unflavored gelatin
- Small bowl
- Medium saucepan
- Small ice cube tray or silicone candy mold (gummy bear shapes, fruit shapes so you can make edibles fruit arrangements, stars, hearts, moons, clovers – whatever works for you, you can probably find just about any shape imaginable online)
What to do:
- Blend together the Jell-O and 1 cup of orange juice in a medium saucepan. Then add the honey and canna veggie oil and heat slowly, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl mix the generic gelatin packets with the remaining orange juice – allow the OJ/gelatin mix to sit for five minutes.
- After the 5 minutes are up, next add the OJ/generic gelatin mixture to the Jell-O/OJ blend; cooking the combo over a simmer temperature of low heat for 5-7 minutes, whisking continually.
- Finally, pour the ganja gummies mixture into a small ice cube tray or silicone candy mold.
- Allow to cool at room temperature and then chill in the fridge.
- Remove the weed gummies from the molds. Sprinkle each candy with a bit of cornstarch to prevent them from sticking together.
Important Things to Know When Making Your Own THC Edibles
(Weed edibles, image from Edibles by Granny on Instagram)
At this point in our cannabis cooking and cuisine cruise, you may have a few remaining questions so we’ll try to anticipate what those questions might be and answer them here.
How to make edibles without cooking
Probably the easiest way to make edibles without cooking is to add cannabis tincture to beverages like coffee, tea, hot chocolate, smoothies or even non-alcoholic cocktails (yes, you can add tincture to alcoholic cocktails, but combining the effects of weed and alcohol is probably unwise and potentially dangerous). A drop or two of tincture, depending on the strength of the bottle, is likely all that it will take to get you at least somewhat high. Generally, 1 drop will equal about 0.05 ml or 1/20 of a ml, so say your tincture has 20 mg of THC per ml, then one drop will have 1 mg – thus, to get a 2 mg dose, you would take 2 drops, 5 drops would be 5mg, 10 drops 10mg, and so forth.
Adding cannabutter to an already-hot item like soup or coffee would also be a way to make medibles without cooking – though technically you are heating the soup or coffee. There are also no-bake cookie recipes; though those do call for heating ingredients on the stove, so – again technically – there is some cooking involved. But, because we are awesome that way, here’s the recipe anyway:
What you need:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup of marijuana butter
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1/2 cup peanut butter – optional, skip this part if you have peanut or tree nut allergies
- Medium saucepan
What to do:
- First, mix together sugar, cocoa, THC butter, and milk in the saucepan.
- Melt together, while stirring for one full minute.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Stir in peanut butter (optional), vanilla, and oatmeal.
- Drop by spoonful onto wax paper.
- Let them cool and solidify for at least 30 mins.
How to Make Edibles Kick in Faster
Medibles usually start to take effect between 15 minutes to half an hour after eating, but the full effects could take an hour or more, so here are some ways to speed up the process of your pot treats powering up:
- Eat them on an empty stomach. If your digestive system has nothing else to process, it will burn your edible medibles immediately and you’ll feel the results much faster. This technique could be disastrous to newbies, because they don’t know what to expect from THC edibles – a pot plebe would be well advised to start with a very small piece of hash butter brownie or weed cookie or whatever. Even someone experienced with marijuana edibles should be cautious.
- Take tinctures instead of or with an edible. Tinctures absorb sublingually, through the lining of your mouth, bypassing the digestive system and pretty much being absorbed directly into the bloodstream – you feel the high and other beneficial effects of cannabinoids like THC and CBD within minutes!
- Drink cannabis-infused beverages. Liquids pass through your digestive system much faster. Take a drink of water and you have to pee within an hour or so, eat solids and you may not have to poop until the next day. Drink some canna-koolaid or weedy tea to feel cannabinoid effects faster.
- Make you medibles with weed wax. Concentrates are suped-up, more potent and faster acting. The mighty marijuana butter recipe we gave you above made with wax? If your THC edible is made with that, it will work faster than something baked with cannabis butter or canna veggie oil.
- Exercise! If you eat something weedy good and go for a walk, you will speed up your metabolism and turbo-boost your digestive system. Unrelated tip: if you’re constipated, try going for a walk, a sped-up digestive system works all the way to the end; and you’re entirely welcome for the bonus tip there!
How Much Weed do You Need to Make Edibles?
How many cannabis edibles do you want to make? Assuming enough for one or two people, then probably a quarter to half an ounce, which is what most recipes you’ll find online call for, some go as high as a full ounce. The cannabutter recipe ratio of decarbed pot to butter is what determines your THC concentration – the strain’s THC concentration will influence the potency of the end product.
Most weed you can buy has a potency of between 10-20% THC. While this varies from plant to plant, the meaning of the percentage remains the same. For example, if your marijuana bud has THC potency of 20%, this means 20% of the milligrams in your marijuana is THC. So, since 1 gram of ganja is equal to a thousand milligrams, then 20% of 1,000 mg is 200 mg – for every gram you have 200mg of THC. Marijuana math, man!
As you figure out how much weed you need for your THC butter or cannabis edibles, translating percentages to milligrams will help you calculate. Therefore, assuming you know what THC percentage potency your weed has, divide that by the number of pieces and you have an idea of how strong it will be per piece. The rest is up to you!
(Milk, cookies and weed; image from Your Night Flower on Instagram)
If you have THC butter (cannabutter) then you can make edibles in less than 30 minutes, just by adding the weedy butter to something that will melt it – like coffee, tea or bowl of hot soup – or spreading your marijuana butter on a piece of toast or cinnamon roll. You can also add some THC tincture to a beverage or food to instantly make cannabis edibles. Granted, if you go the cannabis butter route you will have to invest some time in making the weedy butter itself, unless you buy some from a dispensary or provisioning center, but once you have a batch stored in your fridge or freezer, then it’s really simple to add some to make your own ganja goodies.
To help you out in your personal quest for fast pot food, we have given you some good recipes for THC edibles and shown you how to make cannabis butter and kief butter. We have also discussed how to make edibles with wax by melting concentrates together with regular butter to make some superpowered THC butter. One raw weed recipe we shared with you was how to make firecracker edibles where the cannabis decarboxylates while you’re baking them. And we gave you a number of basic cannabis butter recipes like how to make edibles cookies, how to make edibles brownies, and even how to make edibles gummies – which you could also make with THC tincture, and we included that method, too. Since canna veggie oil is a thing, we included a recipe on how to make edibles with oil, specifically how to make hard candy edibles: weedy lollipops. So, you now have a number of good recipes from which you can make your own medicated edibles, or medibles.
Since this is an ultimate guide to making your own medibles, we also tried to anticipate and answer any lingering questions that you might have had. Therefore we included some information we thought that you’d find helpful on how to make edibles without cooking, how to make edibles kick in faster, and how much weed you need to make medibles. Hopefully, we were comprehensive enough to include everything you need to know and clear enough to make it understandable. Hopefully, upon reading this you’re not too high to retain the information or too spacey to comprehend – maybe bookmark this page so that you can come back to it later; we’ve been there, we have a lot of bookmarks stored in our browsers for that very reason.
There you have it! You now know how to make weed edibles, you know how to edibles candy, you know how to make gummy edibles, you know how to make edibles with wax, and if you’re creative with some of the candy molds, you even know how to make edibles fruit arrangements. Making cannabis butter and keeping some on hand to add to food or beverages is simply the best way to make a fast batch of THC edibles; but using THC tincture, like in tea or coffee, is pretty fast, easy and effective, too! And for a surprise bonus super-fast recipe we’ll even suggest canna chocolate: melt four cups of chocolate (either baker’s chocolate or chocolate chips) in a pan on the stove on medium heat and add 1/4 cup of marijuana butter, mix and pour into molds and now you have canna chocolates! How easy was that? Making your own cannabis edibles is fun, generally not too difficult and usually doesn’t take terribly long – sometimes way less than 30 minutes, sometimes a little longer. Making cannabutter in a crockpot is generally the longest any edible takes, but once you have it made you can add it to food or beverages to make anything an edible, or use it in recipes to make cakes and things to get you baked! Just don’t eat too much, too fast and end up trapped on your couch afraid to cross the room to get the remote for the TV – that would be gnarly! Enough reading, time to get baking and get baked!
Here is a final vid on making edibles with BHO wax, a bit different, using a baking mix and melting some concentrate in the oven:
Researched and written by David and Leah Kaye Weathers.
|David and Leah Kaye Weathers are a freelance cannabis writing and graphic designing husband and wife team from Lansing, Michigan. They are passionate advocates for medical and recreational cannabis legalization in the United States. They enjoy not only smoking and vaping, or dabbing, marijuana but also cooking with weed infused veggie oil. They like to spend their free time wandering along nature trails in search of the perfectly chillaxing spot for a smoke sesh.|