Sep 28 , 2019
For those that may be wondering, “what is a dab pen?” or how to use a dab pen, have no fear as they are fairly simple devices. Basically, a dab pen is an electronic device that heats your ganja through a series of atomizers and coils to deliver a hit which is inhaled through the mouthpiece of the pen.
Traditionally, the term “dab pen” refers to a device that is solely for the use of dabs (shocking, we know). However, nowadays it has become more of a colloquial term for any sort of pen-like device used to consume marijuana. This means that a dab pen may also be referred to as a wax pen, oil vape pen or perhaps even a THC dab pen for the real technical folks. This may be why there is often confusion about the whole dab pen vs vape pen idea.
Oftentimes, these different names are used to specify the way in which the marijuana takes shape. For example, a wax pen will likely require you to fill the cartridge with typical marijuana wax, whereas an oil vape pen will typically have a cartridge filled with a THC concentrate or “oil”.
Ok, so now you know exactly what is a dab pen but are you still wondering how to use a dab pen? The answer is simple, simply turn on the device (each dab pen is different, but there will typically be instructions included with the purchase), place your lips on the mouthpiece and inhale as you would from a pipe, joint, blunt, etc.
As you inhale, the dab pen coils will heat up and the dab pen atomizer will vaporize the marijuana, delivering the typical clean, extra cloudy hit.
Now that you know the ins and outs of the wonderful creation that is the dab pen, you may be thinking: “how do I know which is the best dab pen?”, “how much does a dab pen cost?” or “how do I know which dab pen is right for me?” Thankfully, we’ve done the grunt work and found the best of the best dab pens on the market right now, all at an affordable price.
Take a scroll and use this list to determine which dab pen will best suit your cannabis consumption needs!
CloudPenz - Cloud Pen 3.0 - $69.99
Versatile and portable, the Cloud Pen 3.0 will serve all your vaping needs!The Cloud Pen 3.0 is essentially a three-in-one dab pen vaporizer—hence, the name. This kit is comparable to the V2Pro series 3 dab pen kit, though features far more accessories. It comes with three different heating elements (also known as a dab pen atomizer), allowing the user to customize the device to their needs. This dab pen can be used with both wax and dry herb, making it a versatile and economic choice for everyone.
Included is a standard dual ceramic dab pen-rod titanium coil atomizer, a Medi A2.OT atomizer and the Cloud Atlas 3.0 glass dab pen globe atomizer. Switching between each dab pen atomizer is easy, simply push lightly on the side to remove and click another atomizer into place.
Wondering how to charge a dab pen? It’s easy. In most cases, a dab pen vaporizer kit will include a charger and all necessary components, so you can simply plug the pen in and resume use in a few hours.
Each Cloud Pen 3.0 purchase includes:
- Cloud dab pen with 650 mAh battery
- Three dab pen atomizers detailed above
- Carrying case with space for all three atomizers
- Set of custom Cloud Pen C-tensils
- Cloud pen silicone jar
- Three mouthguards
- Micro-USB charger
What we love:
- One of the most versatile dab pens on the market
- Includes several dab pen accessories at an affordable price
- Low battery indicator (button will flash red when battery reaches 10%)
- One-year warranty
eGo-C Twist 1300mAh Starter Kit Vaporizer - $34.95
Take your vaping to a new level with this kit!
The eGo-C Twist vaporizer kit is the next step up in the eGo dab pen series. Featuring a 1300mAh battery, the eGo-C dab pen is a great starter machine for a novice smoker—or someone just getting into vaping. As far as dab pen batteries go, this pen has one of the best.
Easily adjust the voltage of your pen by twisting clockwise to increase the voltage output or counter-clockwise to decrease the voltage output. This means this dab pen can be used with many different kinds of clearomizers and atomizers.
Each eGo-C Twist kit includes:
- eGo dab pen with 1300 mAh battery
- CE5 Long Wick Clearomizer with 1.6ml e-liquid capacity
- USB Charger
- Carrying case
What we love:
- Variable voltage output ranging from 3.2V to 4.8V, adjustable in increments of 0.1V
- 1300mAh battery offers impressive battery life
- Includes several accessories at an affordable price
- Compatible with a variety of clearomizers/atomizers, can adjust voltage accordingly
Dr. Dabber Aurora Vape Pen Kit - $99.99
Keep your on-the-go vaping discreet with this sleek pen.
The Aurora Vape Pen Kit from Dr. Dabber is sleek in appearance, and is the perfect device for every level of stoner. Its matte black and discreet design keeps consumption low-key, which is always appreciated.
This kit includes three atomizers: Ceramic, Quartz and Halo-style. Switching between atomizers is easy, as the Aurora features a magnetic connection. The Aurora’s mouthpiece is made of contoured ceramic, ensuring a perfect fit and optimum airflow throughout the piece. The kit also includes an additional “high-flow” mouthpiece.
Each Dr. Dabber Aurora Vape Pen Kit includes:
- Dr. Dabber Aurora vape pen
- Ceramic, Quartz and Halo-style atomizers
- High-flow mouthpiece
- Dab tool
- Micro USB charger
- Storage container
What we love:
- Portable and discreet
- Three heat settings, to better customize your device
- Docking station quickly charges vape pen and displays when pen is fully charged
- Backed by a 1-year no-questions-asked warranty
YoCan Evolve Plus Vape Pen - $39.95
Grab your wax and load up this handy pen!
The Evolve dab pen (on par with the similar Atmos dab pen) is affordable, discreet and offers incredibly smooth hits with its built-in dual quartz atomizer. It’s a great, portable dab pen as it is fairly small and slim in stature, and can easily be carried in a pocket or handbag. For on-the-go stoners, this pen is hard to beat.
Using the Evolve dab pen is very simple, making it a great choice for beginner vapers. To turn the device on (or off), click the button five times. Ensure the dab pen coils are properly installed, then add your ganja. (Remember, this pen only works with wax.) After your product is loaded in the pen, press and hold the button for two seconds and then begin vaping.
Each YoCan Evolve Plus dab pen purchase includes:
- YoCan dab pen with 1100 mAh battery
- Evolve Plus atomizer (complete with pre-installed quartz dual coil)
- Wax dab tool
- Micro USB Charger
- Gift box
What we love:
- Features a built in wax jar, increasing portability
- Powerful 1100mAh battery
- Discreet appearance, can easily keep in pocket or purse
- One year warranty
This pen will have you oozing with pure joy after you take it for a spin!
The Duplex in rainbow, another great Ooze dab pen, has certainly made its mark in the cannabis and vaping communities. It is a fairly heavy duty machine, making it perfect for more hardcore vapers. Plus, it perfectly encapsulates the convenience factor with both coil and cartridge compatibility. This means it is not just a dab cartridge pen, but works with wax and oil as well.
To use your new Ooze dab pen, press the power button and choose your preferred voltage setting—3.4V, 3.6V, 3.8V or 4.0V. Plus, you can easily switch between your atomizers/clearomizers with the magnetic 510 thread.
Each Rainbow Duplex Ooze dab pen kit includes:
- Ooze dab pen with 1000 mAh battery
- Dual quartz wax tank
- 1mL glass oil tank
- Micro USB Charger
What we love:
- Heavy duty design
- Adjustable 1000 mAh battery with four voltage options
- Versatile, all-in-one style dab pen
- 15 second pre-heat mode, which produces clean, consistent hits
With a self-cleaning feature, how could we not include this on our list of favourites?
The ultimate Dr Dab pen that every professional stoner needs, the Dr. Dabber Switch will seriously up your stoner game. The Switch uses heat induction, which is a more efficient heating method that also creates an even surface temperature. This means each hit will be consistently smooth and have the same flavour.
The Switch eliminates the need for an atomizer—which renders the machine completely leak-proof, as neither combustion nor oxidation occur. Plus, you have the option to choose between a whopping 25 heat settings and 25 different LED settings.
We know this device may seem intimidating and you’re probably wondering how to clean the dab pen, but worry not: the Switch has an incredible self-cleaning mode. Similar to the “self-clean” feature on your oven, this mode produces a high-energy heat cycle which burns away the residue inside the dab pen.
Each Dr. Dabber Switch Vaporizer kit includes:
- Dr. Dab pen with battery pack
- Glass percolator
- White ceramic induction cup for oil
- Black ceramic induction cup for dry herb
- Ceramic flower filter
- Dab tool/carb cap
- Reverse action tweezers
- Silicone container for wax
- Instruction manual
What we love:
- Ultimate dab pen for versatility
- Battery can reach full charge in 60 minutes and lasts for 150+ uses
- Completely customizable (functions with wax, oil and herb, plus has aforementioned 25 heat and light settings)
- Delivers some of the cleanest and smoothest hits possible
A genius pen simple enough for those just venturing into the world of vaping.
The Nexus Pro from QloudUp is a great beginner vape, though vape experts surely can appreciate this device as well. Combining a 20 second drag time with a simple, easy-to-use design—this vape pen is hard to beat. Featuring a glass mouthpiece with splash guard and foolproof magnetic-style connections, the Nexus Pro eliminates all potential for common vape problems such as sticky or worn out threads.
This vape pen has four temperature settings to choose from: 330°F, 390°F, 420°F and 480°F. The lower temperature settings are great for novice vapers or those who prefer a less harsh hit.
Each QloudUp Nexus Pro Vape Pen purchase includes:
- Nexus Pro vape pen with 650 mAh battery
- Glass mouthpiece (featuring a splash guard)
- Two atomizers: Ceramic DisQ II and Dual Titanium Crystal Quartz
- “Quick” charger
What we love:
- Four temperature settings to choose from ranging from 330°F to 480°F
- Lower temperature settings are great for novice vapers
- All magnetic connections, including charging port
- Impressive chamber that can hold up to a half gram
- “Quick” charger fully charges battery in just one hour
- Lifetime warranty on battery
For some of the smoothest hits around, the Hypnos Zero pen is what you'll want to go for!
The Hypnos Zero vape pen, made by LINX, is one of the best portable vape pens on the market. At just four inches long, it can easily slip inside your pocket or handbag for on-the-go vaping. With a sleek, stainless steel body and a stylish glass mouthpiece, you can’t go wrong with this vape pen.
The Hypnos Zero has four temperature settings to choose from, allowing users to better customize their device. A unique feature of this vape pen is the lack of atomizer or use of coils to heat your concentrate. Rather, the pen contains a large ceramic chamber and ceramic plate heater. This allows for consistent airflow and smooth hits every time.
Each LINX Hypnos Zero vape pen purchase includes:
- Hypnos Zero vape pen with ceramic chamber and ceramic plate heater
- Two glass mouthpieces
- Silicone shell carrying case
What we love:
- Made with medical grade components—meaning no plastic, glue, paint or fibers are present
- Ceramic chamber and ceramic plate heater eliminate the need for coils to heat your herb concentrate
- Four temperature settings to choose from
- One year limited warranty
Mig Vapor CCell Canna Blast Vape Pen Kit - $29.95
Discreet and affordable, this is a no-brainer pen for any collection!
The CCell Canna Blast vape pen from Mig Vapor is the ultimate mini CCell cartridge vape pen, without sacrificing quality. The body of the pen is constructed from 316th medical grade stainless steel, and the tank of pyrex glass. This pen is slim and compact—plus, it's very affordable.
Featuring a 380 mAh battery and a patented 1.2 ohm ceramic coil system designed especially for thicker oils, the Canna Blast is great for anyone on a budget or looking for a smaller, more discreet vape pen. The included ceramic mouthpiece is double sealed, allowing for delicious, clean hits every time.
Each CCell Canna Blast vape pen Kit includes:
- Pyrex glass tank with CCell cartridge
- Ceramic mouthpiece
- 380 mAh Mig 21 battery
- USB charger
What we love:
- Incredibly affordable, yet still made of high-quality materials
- Long-lasting battery (some reports of up to three days of moderate usage)
- Perfect for consumers looking for a discreet, compact device
PaxVapor Pax 3 - $274.99
Vaping with Pax is like vaping in the future!
For the technologically savvy vapers, the Pax 3 from PaxVapor is the perfect vape pen. This incredible device integrates new age digital technology with all of the typical, modern comforts any vaping expert is used to. Unlike the previous generation Pax 2, the Pax 3 is compatible with both concentrates and loose-leaf flower.
Additionally, PaxVapor has developed a mobile application for the Pax 3, which connects via bluetooth to your mobile device. Through the app you can customize your device to your precise needs and specifications.
The Pax 3 device also communicates with the user via various LED lights, showing heating and temperature settings and battery life. You can even save custom setting combinations for future use.
Each Pax 3 vape pen kit includes:
- Pax 3 device
- Two mouthpieces (regular and elevated)
- Maintenance kit (includes a wire brush and 10 pipe cleaners)
- Regular oven lid
What we love:
- Incorporates next-level digital technology
- More than 60 temperature settings
- 22 second warm-up time
- 8 to 10 sessions per charge
- 10 year manufacturer’s warranty
ConclusionVape pens are the key to next-level cannabis consumption. They offer a discreet, customizable and consistent experience for every level of stoner.
A few important questions to ask yourself before ultimately purchasing your new dab pen include:
- Do you want to use your pen primarily for wax, concentrates or dry herb? This will determine which type of dab pen cartridge you will use. Some pens only are compatible with one or two types of cartridges/atomizers, so keep that in mind.
- How important is battery life? A more powerful battery means a longer battery life.
- Are you looking for a long-term or short-term investment? For stoners looking to get the most bang for their buck, a cheaper or even disposable dab pen may be the right choice. Otherwise, it may be worth it to shell out a few more dollars for a pen that will last you many years to come.
We hope this guide was helpful in illustrating a few of the many types of dab pens and gave you a clearer idea of which wax pen components are important to you.
Do you have a favorite, tried-and-true dab pen not on this list? Or, do you have a question about anything else dab pen-related? Leave a comment below!