Jul 31 , 2019
Silicone bongs are all the rage these days because of their durability, affordability, flexibility, and variety of styles and vibrant colours. But, how do you clean these rubber bongs? There are many ways for you to clean a silicone bong, some are similar to how to clean a weed pipe, but others are unique to silicone.
Have your silicone bong shining like new! Photo: @glamlandbeauty_
Methods to Avoid for How to Clean a Silicone PipeAs with all things on the internet, some of the suggested ways to go about cleaning your silicone pipe aren’t safe and should be avoided. As a general rule, it’s best to avoid using any product for cleaning that you would feel wary about inhaling or consuming. If you see any of the following suggestions, avoid them; do not try them at home:
- Can I use hydrogen peroxide to clean my bong
- Homemade 420 cleaner with shady ingredients - just ask yourself, "would I want to inhale whatever's inside this?"
- Using acetone to clean bong
These methods involve dangerous chemicals that you have no business using in an object out of which you intend to smoke. Inhaling these chemicals could be very harmful or even fatal to you.
How to Clean Silicone BongIn this section, we’ll cover the four major methods to clean your silicone bong that are safe, easy, and affordable.
DishwasherWe’ve seen stoner after stoner asking “is silicone dishwasher safe?” Not only is silicone completely dishwasher safe, but your silicone bong is also dishwasher safe. That’s right; you can put the whole bong in dishwasher!
The absolute simplest way to clean your bong is taking it apart and putting all the pieces in the dishwasher. That way, you can let the dishwasher do all the hard work for you.
If you go with this method, you may find that you still need a bong brush, silicone pipe cleaner, or another type of pot pipe cleaner to help figure out how to get resin out of a bong or how to unclog a bong.
This is a great method to use for how to clean a bong without alcohol, not that that's a bad option! In fact, it's next on our list.
Don't let your precious bong get gunky! Keep it shining like these! Photo: @emphaticmermaid
Alcohol is one of the most common methods people use for how to clean a weed pipe of any type. Alcohol is a largely effective method for cleaning your silicone bong or glass bong.
The alcohol method is really easy and effective. All you have to do is take your bong apart and submerge each piece in a container of alcohol. You can use either cold or warm isopropyl alcohol of 70% concentration or higher, but warm will speed up the process.
Leave the bong submerged in the alcohol for at least a few hours, if not overnight. Once it’s done soaking, rinse all the pieces of your bong with water to ensure you get every last little bit of alcohol out of your piece, then leave it to dry.
Everyone deserves to have a clean bong to toke out of. Photo: @tobaccocity209
The major benefit to using a silicone bong vs glass is that the freezing method is far more effective and easier to accomplish because of the flexibility of the silicone.
How to clean silicone bong freezer is super easy! Simply throw your silicone pipe in the freezer for a few hours, letting all the gunk get good and frozen on the sides, and then bend and manipulate the pipe to force the gunk out.
The only downside to this method is that it’s not a very effective way to figure out how to get smell out of silicone. It’s a very effective way to clean out all the resin, though.
Your ordinary glass bong could never come close to being this flexible! Photo: @tumu_shop
VinegarJust like with glass pipes, you can easily clean the bong with vinegar. To figure out how to clean a bong with vinegar, all you need to do is do the exact same thing as you did with alcohol, only replace the alcohol with vinegar.
This method is much more effective if you add some baking soda to the mix. The coarse texture of the baking soda helps to scrub the sides of the bong, clearing them of all the resin caked up.
Tips for how to clean a weed bowl when it’s siliconeThere are a few things you should know about cleaning your silicone bong bowl before you get started. These tips will help to make your cleaning process easier and more effective.
- If you’re having trouble getting everything out of your pipe (which can be particularly difficult if it’s been crusted on for a while, particularly in the silicone downstem) then we recommend investing in a nicer, store-bought marijuana pipe cleaner, like 420 Bong Cleaner or Orange Chronic Bong Cleaner.
- Using boiling vinegar or boiling water can be an effective method as well, though we find the boiling process to be not entirely necessary. The other methods are just as effective without risking burns or wasting time taking that extra step.
- Make sure you research how to clean resin out of a glass bowl if your silicone pipe comes with a glass bowl, because the methods aren’t always interchangeable.
- Always make sure you rinse your pipes thoroughly after cleaning with alcohol, vinegar, weed pipe cleaners, etc. You don’t want to inhale or ingest these chemicals or have your hits tasting or smelling like vinegar. Once you’re sure you’ve thoroughly rinsed everything, lay it out to dry, letting the water evaporate away entirely.
With these steps your bong will be gleaming like new! Photo: @tumu_shop
ConclusionCleaning your silicone pipe and trying to figure out how to get smell out of silicone can be an undertaking for sure, but it’s more time-consuming than anything. Keeping your smoking pipes clean by going through this process regularly is essential to keeping them nice.
Each of the methods we detailed above is as effective as the other, so try them all and see which works best for you and your silicone pipes. If you find one method to be more effective than the others or the supplies easier to get, stick with that.
Can’t get enough? Try searching some of these fascinating related topics!
- Are silicone pipes safe?
- What’s the healthiest way to smoke weed?
- Can you boil silicone?
- How to boil a pipe for resin
- How to boil glass pipes
- How to clean a bubbler with boiling water
- How to clean a bubbler without alcohol
- Are there weed subscription boxes?
Have a glass pipe instead? Check out this video!
Have questions before you start cleaning? Comment below!