How to Make Space Cakes That Will Blow Your Mind & Your Taste Buds!
Cake is good; there’s nobody that doesn’t love cake, sweet fluffy goodness topped with sugary frosting. But the cannabis cooking community has taken it up a notch with out-of-this-world space cakes made with hash or weed! Space cakes will get you baked! You can make them with regular cannabis in your favourite cannabutter recipe, or you can make them with even more potent hashish and hash butter; you can make them with a from-scratch recipe or make a space cake recipe with cake mix you bought at the supermarket. Medibles, edible marijuana treats, are notoriously slow-acting compared to smoking or vaping, so whether the ganja cake is a cannabis cake or a hashish cake, within an hour or so of eating it, it could kick in hella strong and rocket you out of the atmosphere and into warp drive, boldly going where no stoner has gone before… unless they have eaten a lot of space cake! Then it's more like a walk through the park on a beautiful spring day.
(Ganja girl with an Amsterdam space cake, image from Coral Reefer 420 on Instagram)
The wired weed world, the internet, is rife with stories about people overindulging in the space cakes Amsterdam is famous for. Amsterdam being the pot capital of Europe and probably even the world, and where many an intrepid ganja world explorer has ended up crashing on the bed of their Dutch hotel room – or being talked down from some acute stoner paranoia. All because they didn’t realize that the space cake Amsterdam sold them was made with hashish (which is nearly twice as potent as weed, hash being 40% THC, compared to plain pot, averaging 15-24% THC). But if you’re lit and approach any and all medibles - or any pot edibles recipe - cautiously, trying a small amount, waiting an hour or so to see how it affects you, then trying some more, you’ll likely find your tolerance with weed plant cake, hashish cake or any other Amsterdam edibles.
Here is video where a British gal tells the tale of her encounter with some space cakes in Amsterdam:
Space cakes are so popular there’s even a 65% indica-dominant hybrid weed strain, with a formidable 23% THC level, named Space Cake after the potent pot treats. There’s a Melt Cosmetics, nature... right, nature-inspired eye shadow palette, showing that this particular potent cannabis cake is indeed well-known, far and wide.
Even non-stoners should be able to get behind the beautiful, natural and vegan colours on the Melt Space Cake Eye Shadow Palette.
If you buy this and put it on, send us a photo so we can replace this stock photo from Amazon!
There are fake space cakes called ‘kush cakes’ that are sold in some gas stations next to energy drinks and power supplements, but the kush cakes ingredients include melatonin and valerian root, not THC or any other marijuana cannabinoids.
There is also cake called ‘wowie cake’ that some stoner might confuse with space cake, but it’s just a chocolate cake, despite the name – though you could substitute the 1/3 cup veggie oil in the recipe with cannabutter or hash butter.
You can bake a space cake that is a weed plant cake using a cookie cutter bought online for just over $6; maybe make a weed birthday cake for your favorite stoner with some cake weed like Birthday Cake strain or the Space Cake cannabis strain we mentioned above.
Want to make sure you remember which brownies have the hash butter in them? Grab this set of marijuana leaf-shaped cutters so you never make that mistake again!
Get these cutters and you, too, can have Stock Photo - worthy content!
(Layered cannabis cake and nugs of weed, image from Coffeshop Bellamy on Instagram)
Space Cake Recipe
Here is a recipe that uses hash to make and bake the space cake; you could just as easily use regular cannabis for a milder high. You don't need much! Milk 2 eggs, maybe some chocolate chips - who are we to stop you?
Get your mixing bowl ready! We're about to turn the space cakes you've been dreaming of into reality.
First off, the ingredients
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup butter
8 grams of hash or decarboxylated cannabis
Chocolate chips if your heart calls for them
A small, square 8” x 8” cake pan
- Pre-heat your oven to 375°F/190°C.
- Crumble up the hash, or thoroughly grind then decarboxylate your weed; put it in a bowl and then set it aside.
- Next, microwave the butter for 20 seconds until it’s semi-melted. Reserve 1/5th of the butter to grease your cake pan so that the finished space cake comes out clean when removed from the pan; mix the rest of the butter together with your crumbled hash or ground weed.
- Thoroughly mix eggs, sugar, flour, milk, the optional chocolate chips, and hash butter mixture or weed butter mixture together in a large mixing bowl. Be sure to get the hash or pot spread evenly throughout the cake batter for even distribution of the dosage, ensuring smooth, reliable effects.
- Now pour the cannabisized cake batter into the pre-greased cake pan, spreading the batter around with your spatula or wooden spoon, smoothing and leveling it as much as you can. Then, put your cake pan with space cake batter in the oven for 25 minutes. Use a toothpick in the middle of the cake to see if the space cake is done; if it has clumps of batter on it, then return the cake to the oven for another 5 minutes, then recheck.
- Once you take the space cake out of the oven, let it cool for around 20 minutes. Remove the space cake from the pan to cool for another 30 minutes on a wire rack.
- Use a favorite frosting recipe or a store-bought premade frosting to ice your homemade space cake.
Want to really up your cake's game? Get yourself this awesome cake decorating set, pair it with the marijuana leaf cutters from above, and make a cake that's Great British Bake Off-worthy!
This stock photo is the best way for you to get an idea of EVERYTHING this kit comes with!
If you've got 20 minutes to spare, here's a dude making his own cannabisized cake (factually cupcakes), about the same thing as space cakes – he is using weed, or cannabutter, not hash, in this recipe, but it would work the same:
Simple Space Cakes
If you want a really simple space cake recipe, here is a space cake recipe with pre-mixed cake mix.
¾ cup of cannabutter or hash butter
Your favorite brand of cake mix (we recommend Duncan Hines because their mixes are 18.25 ounces, but most other name brand mixes are closer to 15 or 16 ounces.)
16-ounce frosting, whatever flavor you fancy with your space cakes
2 cups of cold milk
Pre-heat your oven to 400° Fahrenheit / 204° Celcius, then, basically, follow the directions on your box of cake mix, using your cannabutter or hash butter instead of whatever butter or vegetable oil the box directions call for.
Mix all ingredients well in your trusty mixing bowl, then bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
Test it with a toothpick just like we did with the scratch cake above; also as above, when the space cake is baked, remove it from the oven and then the pan to cool on a wire rack before frosting.
Voila! Enjoy your tasty, simple space cake. Try to make it last more than 20 seconds!
Spruce up your spacey cake with some delicious CBD-infused gummies. We love the Sour Gummy Bears from Cozzely!
Believe us when we say the bears inside the jar in this Stock image are CUTE.
Did you know Mike Tyson has a cannabis farm? Did you know that farm, Tyson Ranch, produces CBD-infused chocolates? Did you ALSO know that he calls his CBD-infused water "Dwiink"?
Take this new bit of knowledge, and some of his CBD chocolate, to your next party and spread the word!
We figured you know what chocolate looks like, so instead we included this photo of Mike Tyson taken by Vegas Cannabis Mag for their feature on his farming ventures.
(Cake with weed nugs atop, image from PNW Smoking on Instagram)
How to Make Cannabutter
Here is a cannabutter, or pot butter, or budder recipe taken directly from our ‘How to make Cannabutter Brownies’ recipe:
- Turn your crockpot on low or if using the stove, turn the front burner on low and place a pot on the burner.
- Add one cup of water and one pound of salted or unsalted butter to your crock pot or pan. The water will help keep the temperature of the butter even and keep the cannabis from scorching and developing a bitter taste.
- Once the butter starts to melt, add your ground marijuana or some shake, which is essentially already ground up pieces of cannabis plant anyway. Many dispensaries sell shake, even high-quality shake, at a discount, and it saves you time grinding up an ounce of pot.
- If using a crockpot, cover your pot and step away, checking your mixture every 30 minutes. Your butter will need to cook for eight to 16 hours, depending on how strong you want it. Check the water and if it starts to evaporate, add more. Stir your mixture periodically, whenever you check on it.
If using the stove-top method, let your butter and water mixture simmer for around three hours, stirring often. The longer you let the butter simmer, the stronger the butter.
- When your mixture is done cooking, pour it into a glass refrigerator-safe container, using a cheesecloth to strain out the plant matter.
- Once you’re done straining, squeeze the cheesecloth to make sure you’ve drained out every last drop of cannabis-infused butter.
- Cover the dish with a lid or plastic wrap, place it in the refrigerator, and let it cool overnight. While the butter is cooling, the water will separate from the fat in the butter, raising the butter to the top of the dish and leaving the water at the bottom.
Once your pot butter has cooled, carefully cut around the edges of the butter and remove the solid butter. Drain out all the water at the bottom, and then put your butter back in a new, dry, airtight, sealable dish. Your budder should still look like butter, with perhaps a slightly green tint depending on how long you cooked it.
If you're one of those people who hasn't gotten a slow cooker yet, uh, what are you waiting for?
They're great whether you're high or not!
We're hungry just looking at this Stock Photo! Guess it's working...
Have we inspired you yet? Once you're done making that delicious Cannabutter, rinse your slow cooker out and try out on the recipes from The Ultimate Instant Pot Cookbook!
We suggest substituting the butter recipes call for with your newly made cannabutter.
Turn your cooking into the cover of this lovely book!
Cannabutter will last up to two months, stored properly, but may start losing potency after a few weeks.
And here is another link to our ‘How to Make Hash Butter’ blog, if you’d rather use that than the budder recipe in your space cake.
You can also use either cannabutter or hash butter to make space cookies, space muffins, space brownies or space whatever you feel like making and baking with your pot butter! Use your cannabutter to make weed cupcakes or space cupcakes or whatever you want to call them. Find a recipe on Bakespace or any other cooking-and-recipe themed website on the Internet and make a space medible weed cookie or space muffins from that.
If you’re wondering how to make space cookies, we just happen to have yet another blog on ‘How to make Weed Cookies’ that just might help you out – and you are ever and always entirely welcome! If you are wondering how long brownies are good for or how long your space cake will last, the general rule is 5-7 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container, or in the freezer for up to a month wrapped in freezer wrap.
Should you also wonder ‘Do weed brownies smell?’ or ‘Will my neighbors know I am baking a space cake?’ the answer is yes, these things contain cannabis and give off a familiar odor, moreso when baking - if you are within a few feet of a medible it does have a ‘pot smell’ so we recommend airtight containers to eliminate the pot perfume. And make sure to rinse your mixing bowl well after you're done with it so lingering smells and hash don't make it into your next concoction.
(Rock cakes, image from AJ Classic Cakes on Instagram)
Jamaican Rock Cake
And as an added bonus, here is an awesome recipe for Jamaican Rock Cake or Jamaican Space Cake. Once you get familiar with it, we bet you could have these bad boys out and ready in 25 minutes:
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cannabutter or hash butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tbsps. dried fruit
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 medium eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 tsps. milk
1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat your oven to 360°F / 190°C and grease or spray your baking sheet.
- With your finger tips, rub cannabutter or hash butter into the flour until the mixture balls up like fine breadcrumbs.
- Then add in your sugar, dried fruit, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and coconut, mixing it all together evenly.
- Beat together the eggs and vanilla, pour them into the flour mixture, and then combine that all together before adding the milk slowly.
- Work the weedy mixture by hand until you form a moist dough.
- Next, divide your dough up into roughly equal-sized pieces and mold each piece into a rocky cone-shape on your greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Enjoy your intergalactic Jamaican Space Cakes, yah mon!
(A weed birthday cake, image from My Cake's Revolution on Instagram)
It could be easy to get lost in space cake, and maybe eat a little too much; and, like most edible marijuana products, the effects can take a couple of hours and then come on hella strong all of a sudden – especially if it is space cake Amsterdam-style, made with far more potent hash! Before you boldly go off and sample any Amsterdam edibles, remember to use due caution and maybe sample a little, and wait awhile to see how it affects you before you sample some more. Hash has 40% THC and regular ol’ weed runs about 15-24% THC, so while a cannabis cake will get you stoned, a hashish cake will get you even more stoned! The name Space Cake has been used on a 65% indica-dominant hybrid weed strain with 23% THC, which you could use in your favorite cannabutter recipe to make cannabis-infused ganja cake, using a recipe for making a cake from scratch but substituting cannabutter or hash butter for the butter or oil in the original recipe. Don’t bother with gas station ‘kush cakes’, which are cheap knockoffs of space cakes; kush cakes ingredients include melatonin and valerian root, not THC, CBD or any other cannabinoids. You’ll be likewise disappointed with ‘wowie cake’, which sounds like it should be made with weed, but won’t be any kind of cannabis cake or pot leaf cake unless you adapt the recipe by substituting something you made from a cannabutter recipe, or hash butter, for the butter or oil in the recipe, that you may have gotten from Bakespace or other internet recipe site.
You could bake up a simple space cake recipe with cake mix, or make a space cake recipe entirely from scratch. If you wanna know how to make space cookies, space muffins, weed cupcakes or even Jamaican Rock Cake we’ve shown you how to make cannabutter to use in whatever pot edibles recipe you choose. We can tell you that the answer to both ‘Does making edibles smell?’ or ‘Do weed brownies smell?’ is yes, but they are odorless if you keep them in airtight containers. Now that you know how to make and bake a space cake, you can buy yourself a pot leaf cake mold and make your own weed plant cakes or even a weed birthday cake, candles and all; just don’t forget to let the guests know that they’re eating space cake - or they just might end up crashed in your basement like some international hotel guests who underestimated the space cakes Amsterdam served them!
Here is a bonus brief chocolate space cake video recipe:
Researched and written by David and Leah Kaye Weathers.
|David and Leah Kaye Weathers are a freelance cannabis writing and graphic designing husband and wife team from Lansing, Michigan. They are passionate advocates for medical and recreational cannabis legalization in the United States. They enjoy not only smoking and vaping, or dabbing, marijuana but also cooking with weed infused veggie oil. They like to spend their free time wandering along nature trails in search of the perfectly chillaxing spot for a smoke sesh.|